Do you workout on vacation? It may sound strange, but it’s one of the things I most look forward to when taking a trip. When I’m on vacation I generally feel energized (sayonara, work!) and have more time to gently enter the day before jumping into my morning workout. My husband and I have a few upcoming trips that I need to start packing for which inspired me to share with you my exercise mindset when vacationing and the 5 workout essentials I always pack with me when travelling.
The 5 Workout Essentials I Always Pack When Vacationing
- Clothes and Shoes: Depending on how many days we will be away, I try to pack 3 sets of workout clothes to cycle through. When taking longer trips, I like to wash my clothes but if I can’t, c’est la vie! I just hang and let them air dry before wearing again. Smelly or not.
- Workout Gadgets: Because I can’t workout, here or on vacation, without my music and fitness tracker, my Bose wireless earbuds and my Apple watch, along with their respective charging devices, are usually the first things I pack.
- Pre-workout, Electrolytes and Protein Powder: Give me all the powder! I pack them either in separate Ziplock bags (measuring out the number of days needed) or I buy them in single-serve packets before leaving. I will admit that I sometimes feel a hint of embarrassment when airport security pulls out the Ziplock bags from my luggage and starts asking questions….
- Equipment: Lightweight and small, resistance bands and exercise sliders are a no brainer when travelling. These critical gym tools allow me to keep the intensity in my workouts both on and off the road and are especially useful when I don’t have access to dumbbells.
- A Water Bottle: This one seems so simple, but it’s an easy one to overlook! I love using water bottles that can hold up to 32 oz (4 cups) of water because it ensures that I’m drinking enough during my workout.
Staying Flexible Is Key
Because I don’t always have access to all the equipment I normally would at home, I try to stay open-minded with the types of workouts I do on vacation. When gyms or studios aren’t available to me or when equipment is scarce, I may go for a run or swim, do some yoga on the beach, or use my Beachbody On Demand App and do a HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workout that doesn’t require weights. No matter what though, the goal is always the same: move my body with the intention of feeling good.
Have a Plan Before Arriving
Regardless of where I’ll be vacationing, I always have an idea of the type of workouts I’ll be doing before I arrive. If I’m away for a few weeks or in major city, I like to use ClassPass to find a cycle or yoga studio that I can attend. If I’m staying at a hotel, I like to check out their gym online to get an idea of the space and equipment offered before I arrive. A couple of years ago, we stayed at a few hotels that had Pelton bikes and I because I looked into it beforehand, I was able to pack my cycling shoes so I could clip in for my ride!
What about you? Do you love working out on vacation as much as I do? If so, what types of workouts do you most enjoy doing?